Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-03 12:58:25
On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 09:35:16AM -0700, Dave CROCKER wrote:

How do folk feel about having asking for subject_prefix to be set on the
IETF Discussion List (AKA this one!) - this will prefix mail sent to this
list with something like "[Discussion]" or "[IETF]" or something [0].

The visual cue this convention provides is helpful and it's an extremely
widespread convention.

maybe we should eat our own dog food as served in RFC 2919 or,
to touch another popular issue, declare 2919 "Historic"?

The IETF list already inserts the all the proper list- headers:

  <mailto:ietf-request(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org?subject=subscribe>

It's all I need for sorting and, for that matter, I can trivially set up rules
to add the [ietf] or whatever tag myself if I prefer that. As others have
pointed out, we even have a standard for doing this stuff.

OTOH, I can also remove the [ietf] tag if the list starts putting it in there.
So count me as mildly disliking this proposal.

-Peter

PS: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00>

Pretty much agree with the points raised in this draft.

                                Ned