Re: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center

2011-08-07 19:25:55

"Pete" == Pete Resnick <presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:
    Pete> On 8/5/11 2:46 AM, Glen Zorn wrote:
    >> I note that there is an opening on the IETF meeting calendar for
    >> an Asian meeting in 2013.  Here is a suggestion:
    >>
    >> Meeting Facilities:
    >> http://www.qsncc.com/venue-information/our-facilities.html
    >>

    Pete> I'm happy to have the IAOC look at this site. But one of the
    Pete> items that I've heard is consistently on the "wish list" for
    Pete> sites is "under one roof". Looking at the hotel list and at
    Pete> Google maps, there isn't a hotel closer than 1km walk from the
    Pete> convention center, and the larger ones are further than
    Pete> that. That's not a show-stopper, but I can say personally that
    Pete> I am lazy and do not relish the walk at 7:15am to make it to
    Pete> the IESG meeting. I was similarly not a fan of the Vienna IETF
    Pete> meeting site, which was likewise situated away from the
    Pete> hotels.

Yes, and we repeated this in numerous other places too.
Maastrich and Dublin (I'm told).
Montreal (both times)...

The problem with Vienna wasn't that the was a walk, but that there was
no canonical bar!!!!  This is *REALLY* the problem.  IETFs want a place
to sit and relax and

In fact, the walk from the Hilton to the Quebec Conference Centre was
pretty close to 1km, and we didn't seem to have a canonical bar either.
Some suggested that had the reception room in Quebec had food/drink
service, it would have actually been very very very good.
(but, I would argue that Commensal was in fact that canonical lunch
location...)

I travelled 15m on RTC (Quebec City) from Laval University.
The residences were pretty rough, but I wasn't bothered because the
7minute frequency continued on until 1am.  In Vienna it also wasn't a
long trip, but there was obvious place to "run into" other IETFers.

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.