Re: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center

2011-08-08 00:59:14
On 8/8/2011 12:58 AM, Pete Resnick wrote:
On 8/5/11 2:46 AM, Glen Zorn wrote:
I note that there is an opening on the IETF meeting calendar for an
Asian meeting in 2013.  Here is a suggestion:

Meeting Facilities:
http://www.qsncc.com/venue-information/our-facilities.html

I'm happy to have the IAOC look at this site. But one of the items that
I've heard is consistently on the "wish list" for sites is "under one
roof". Looking at the hotel list and at Google maps, there isn't a hotel
closer than 1km walk from the convention center, and the larger ones are
further than that. That's not a show-stopper, but I can say personally
that I am lazy and do not relish the walk at 7:15am to make it to the
IESG meeting.

I would not recommend walking in any case (Thai people rarely walk any
further than absolutely necessary ;-).  However, the CC has it's own
subway stop, with convenient connections to the Sky Train.  Some hotels
are more convenient than others, of course; for example, the Westin and
Sheraton are located adjacent to & opposite, respectively, a subway
station one stop from the CC.  In any case, a taxi from any of the
hotels on the list would today cost < $3 (probably closer to $2) one way.

I was similarly not a fan of the Vienna IETF meeting site,
which was likewise situated away from the hotels.

Again, not the end of the world (cheaper lodging prices are welcome),
but neither is it ideal.

pr