RE: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center

2011-08-07 22:47:40
I attended an APRICOT meeting at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center
many years ago. The bad news is that we needed to take cabs back and forth
between our hotel and the meeting. The good news is that at least at that time
cabs were readily available and *very* reasonably priced. The meeting location
seemed quite good to me (from my recollection). The hotel that we stayed at was
not horridly expensive, but was not cheap and the US dollar has probably lost
about half of its value since then (it was a very nice hotel that catered to
westerners).

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Pete Resnick
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2011 1:58 PM
To: Glen Zorn
Cc: iaoc-mtgs(_at_)ISOC(_dot_)org; IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center

On 8/5/11 2:46 AM, Glen Zorn wrote:
I note that there is an opening on the IETF meeting calendar for an
Asian meeting in 2013.  Here is a suggestion:

Meeting Facilities:
http://www.qsncc.com/venue-information/our-facilities.html

I'm happy to have the IAOC look at this site. But one of the items that
I've heard is consistently on the "wish list" for sites is "under one
roof". Looking at the hotel list and at Google maps, there isn't a hotel
closer than 1km walk from the convention center, and the larger ones are
further than that. That's not a show-stopper, but I can say personally
that I am lazy and do not relish the walk at 7:15am to make it to the
IESG meeting. I was similarly not a fan of the Vienna IETF meeting site,
which was likewise situated away from the hotels.

Again, not the end of the world (cheaper lodging prices are welcome),
but neither is it ideal.

pr

Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102