Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-08.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

2011-08-07 20:22:34
SM wrote:

People are not doing many implementation reports. As you say above, there are only about 75 of them. How many protocols are documented in RFCs? That is a very low percentage in my view.

Yes, it's a very low percentage. I don't have the figure for the number of protocols documented. Given the low barrier for such reports, I would have expected to see more reports. After all, if the RFC has been published, the protocol has been widely deployed, it should simply have been a matter of filing the short report.

Of course, when implementation reports are written, one has to watchful for the summarized analytical results that either attempt to add weight to an desired goal or mask the undesired goal and natural result.

In one such report, I was able to show the data collection indicated an undesired result was indeed the natural and dominant implementation mode. The 2nd revision tweaked the semantics enough to hide the higher weight of the data collected for the undesirable dominant mode. When that change was also seen and noted, it was added back in the 3rd revision as a "oops" exclusion.

This is not an exercise we should have to go through. Engineers must have complete faith in implementation reports.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com