Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-08.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

2011-08-14 08:25:06
Keith,

However, as with most things I don't think there are hard and fast
rules.

I agree that such things need to be described, but I don't think this
description should be gated on, or wait for, advancement in grade.  The
errata mechanism can be used to report some kinds of vulnerabilities;
separate RFCs for others.

Right now we have this expectation that we're going to rewrite the entire
RFC just to declare something as DS.

I do not think we currently have that expectation. I do realize that we've
debated several cases and the need or lack thereof for additional changes.
But in general, a document that advanced is not expected to be rewritten.
At least not in my opinion. When I review -bis or -ds documents I usually
focus on the rfcdiff output between the old RFC and the new draft.

I also do acknowledge that we (the working groups and the IESG) have made
several errors in this respect, sometimes doing more than should really
have been done. But I do not think we have the expectation that all -ds
documents should be rewritten. That would be wrong.

What I tried to say above is that I dislike hard rules such as:

- We should never require a -ds document to say additional things
- We should always apply the most recent IETF approved rules (such as BCP
109 on key management) to all documents, including the -ds ones

But I do agree with you that whether a separate new RFC, editing this RFC,
errata or some other form of update should be decided on a case-by-case
basis.

Jari