Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-08.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

2011-08-14 04:49:53
I pretty much agree, although one form of discuss might be
reasonable: "This document needs to be recycled at Proposed
Standard because of the following *observed* interoperability
problem:...".

In other words, once we have got this BCP out (soon, please),
the IESG should update the DISCUSS criteria specifically to
narrow them for the PS->IS transition.

I also pretty much agree, and the IESG discuss criteria document
(http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html) would certainly
benefit from a respin to provide guidelines for -bis documents and
documents advancing further.

However, as with most things I don't think there are hard and fast rules.
I can imagine a very old RFC being respin or advancing where I'd want some
rework. For instance, a vulnerability that was discovered after the
orginal RFC should be described, perhaps even dealt with somehow.

Jari