Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-23 23:41:46
On 8/24/2011 12:46 AM, Worley, Dale R (Dale) wrote:

From: Thomas Nadeau

One would think that when the IETF negotiates the room block/fees,
that this could be done as well. After all we are in many cases,
booking a significant portion of the hotel in question in addition to
its conference facilities.

Speaking as someone who has never arranged a convention...  There must
be some difficulty given the IETF's use of sponsors.  E.g., for the
Maastricht meeting, we were sponsored by SIDN, a Netherlands company.
This automatically restricted us to a fairly small number of venues,
which is going to make it harder to get good terms when negotiating.

Speaking as one who has, there is no difficulty unless the sponsor
decides to create one (e.g., by treating the meeting as a recruiting
tool, perhaps hoping to impress prospective employees with the wonders
of the particular office park wasteland where their headquarters happens
to be located ;-).  Microsoft, for example, hosted a meeting in Orlando
and Cisco has, I believe, hosted or co-hosted meetings all over the world...