Re: Routing at the Edges of the Internet

2011-08-26 15:50:19
On 08/26/2011 10:20, David Morris wrote:
I don't see this as a routing difficulty since the updated tables would be
highly local to the edge routers which would only need to know about
the more precise route between peers.

BUT I see enormous issues in terms of providing the capability in a secure
form that can be successfully enabled by the average end user. Also,
this is more than a routing issue since most file sharing involves
an itermediary with both edge devices connecting to a remote server. Not
only do the edge routers need to be configured for secure edge routing,
but the systems need to have applications which would deliver data
directly.

I have a related-but-different example of how end nodes being able to
know/discover direct paths to one another could be useful. Imagine a
busy server network with some web servers over here, some sql servers
over there, etc. All of these systems are on the same network, same
switch fabric, and have the same gateway address. In an ideal world I
would like them to be able to know that they can speak directly to one
another without having to go through the gateway (and without my having
to manually inject static routes on the hosts, which of course is both
painful and un-scale'y.

Doug

                        -- OK Go