Re: Routing at the Edges of the Internet

2011-08-27 00:49:48
On 8/27/2011 4:08 AM, Doug Barton wrote:

As long as they know
they're on the same subnet (and ARP broadcasts will reach everyone)
they should just ARP for each other and not involve the router at all.

If they are on different IP subnets, but the same Ethernet,

Yes, this is more often the case that I'm dealing with. (Working on
fixing a problem I inherited for a new client, so per your comment below
"don't number that way" may be the right answer.)

Old joke (but apropos):

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor:  Don't do that.