RE: Routing at the Edges of the Internet

2011-08-30 08:27:07
You could start by looking at MANET work, both in the WG of that
name and work outside the IETF under that name and as ad hoc
networks (the mobile in MANET can be misleading, D for dynamic
might be mor to the point) and mesh networks. There are real
networks (such as the Freifunk network in Germany) that do some
of what you are talking about, and use protocols based on IETF
work. (Freifunk uses OLSR - RFC 3626 - and intends, as I
understand, to use OLSRv2, once we manage to finish it.)

Note: I'm an author of OLSRv2, but have no connection to
Freifunk.

There are more issues, some of which you touch on, such as
with regard to addressing issues (the MANET WG is about
routing). The AUTOCONF WG was intended to address these but
that has not been a great success. Nor am I claiming MANET
has produced all the answers to all the routing-related
problems. Part of what's missing is rationale and explanatory
material explaining how you can do more than might be obvious
with what does exist. (There are RFCs 2501 and 5889, but
there is more material known to people working in these areas
than those capture.)

--
Christopher Dearlove
Technology Leader, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87,
Farnborough Aerospace Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687