Re: Routing at the Edges of the Internet

2011-08-28 15:13:14
On 8/26/11 08:04 , Worley, Dale R (Dale) wrote:
From: Adam Novak [interfect(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]

"Say I wanted to send data to my friend in the flat next to mine. It is
idiotic that nowadays, I would use the bottleneck subscriber line to
my upstream ISP and my crippled upload speed and push it all the way
across their infrastructure to my neighbors ISP and back to the Wifi
router in reach of mine."

there are other ways for devices with proximity to discover each other
and establish a relationship than via existing networks.

This is a valid point, but it's also rather rare that one wants to
send large amounts of data directly to a friend in a neighboring flat
but one has not manually adjusting the local routing to take that into
account.

If each home or mobile device was essentially [its] own autonomous
system, what would this do to routing table size? To ASN space
utilization?

There must be at least a few hundred million mobile phones with data
capability, and a similar number of homes and small businesses with
WiFi systems.  So we can estimate that a large fraction of a billion
entries would be added to the routing tables.  How would that work?

putting device mobility into the DFZ is just dumb. it was a fairly bad
idea when boeing did it and at any kind of scale it would be still more
obvious.

Dale