Re: voting system for future venues?

2011-08-29 15:03:49
At 01:21 PM 8/29/2011, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 08/29/2011 09:59 AM, Scott Brim wrote:
WGs can and should apply discipline to make email the primary mode of
interacting, with occasional virtual meetings and even more occasional
physical meetings.  Just because there is a physical meeting doesn't
mean a WG should let issues pile up to be resolved there.

Well, that's the theory but it's been my experience that
more stuff is being resolved in meetings in recent years
rather than less stuff (also, more voting and less consensus).
I think that there's some relationship between this and
increasing meeting costs, etc., and that both may be tied
to the increasing "professionalization" (professional
standardizers) of the IETF over the past decade or so.

my (not so kind) view of professional standardizers) is that they slow things down and take too long to make progress - perhaps because they aren't that fast on the uptick/too detached from how products are actually built -- is that what you believe is happening in the IETF now (and for at least the last 5 or so years)?

James

BTW - I don't believe that is what's happening to the IETF, but perhaps I'm slow on the uptick. I think we're getting into way too complicated architectures involving way too many lateral WGs and/or Areas. We also jump too fast to the newest shiny thing, and don't complete our work in a given WG or Area.

Take RTCWEB in the RAI Area, for instance. It's all the rage, cuz it's the newest, flashiest, shiniest thing, so everyone in RAI swarms to it - but it's not new. It's a rehash of something (or several somethings) just built in the RAI Area. It's just packaged a little differently, is backed by a HUGE company, and no one wants to get left out of the "in" crowd who "was there from the start..."

Melinda