Re: voting system for future venues?

2011-08-30 05:05:26
On 30 aug 2011, at 9:22, Henk Uijterwaal wrote:

That is a 4.5 year difference in when the exact date is announced.  This
increase the risk that there is a clash with another meeting and people
cannot plan much in advance.

Come on, the idea that people need to know the date of a meeting more than 1.5
years out or they won't be able to plan their attendance is ridiculous. I don't
even know which country I'll be living in 1.5 years from now.

You also only look at the situation where the dates are completely open until
after the venue negotiations are complete. I don't think we need to go that
far, we could start by selecting two weeks long in advance and then choosing
between those as the negotiations happen. This could be especially useful for a
meeting in a region where more contraints than usual are expected.

The question is what we, as a community, want: dates known early or
flexibility to select the best venue at a late stage.

I can only speak for myself, but $300/night is a big problem for me. I have no
problem staying in non-official hotels, but obviously that only works when
those are available and have more reasonable prices.

Then again, I don't need to go to _every_ IETF meeting (I think I'm at 12
meetings in 9 years now) so I'm ok having a mix of cheaper and more expensive
meetings.