Re: Pre-IETF RFCs to Historic (not really proposing)

2011-09-15 16:19:47
On Sep 15, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

On 15 September 2011 20:39, Scott O Bradner wrote:

as Keith points out - a round of this type of effort was
undertaken by the newtrk working group a while back

About five years back, IIRC, and with some limiting parameters.
I think this clean up was brilliant, and a new round with new
parameters would be a very good thing.

I will note that it took quite a bit of work to ensure that
technologies were actually unused

Again IIRC, you somehow created a list of "candidates", and
folks could object if they felt that something is still used.

Problem is, the IETF isn't really big enough to have a good idea about whether
some technologies are still used.

Example: A few years ago I started doing some work in an industry which makes
extensive use of 3-way FTP, because they have very large files that they have
to move around, and they need for those transfers to be mediated by 3rd
parties.  IIRC, the prevailing view in the IETF ftpext working group was that
3-way FTP was obsolete and should be deprecated due to security issues and
because it wouldn't work through NATs.

Keith