RE: Pre-IETF RFCs to Historic (not really proposing)

2011-09-16 08:33:42
Scott,

On one hand, most of these RFCs do not harm the Internet. However, if we don't
clean house periodically, we are left with the following questions:

1) In the future, does the IETF have the latitude to do things that might break
these old protocols?
2) If not, must the IETF maintain a cadre of people who are familiar with these
old protocols to ensure that they are not broken?
3) If we don't maintain a cadre of people familiar with these RFCs, how should
the community react to errata against them?
                                 Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Scott O Bradner
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:37 PM
To: Mykyta Yevstifeyev
Cc: IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: Pre-IETF RFCs to Historic (not really proposing)

I'm fully supportive of reclassifying any RFCs that pose a risk to the
Internet
to historic but fail to see the usefulness of doing so for RFCs that
describe
unused but non-harmful technologies - seems like busywork and useless
at best.

Scott