Re: watersprings.org archive of expired Internet Drafts

2011-10-07 17:56:46
On 10/7/11 15:32 , Frank Ellermann wrote:
On 7 October 2011 11:36, t.petch wrote:

No thousands of .gif to spend ages downloading, no Megabytes of XML
that take half an hour to process, no https that locks up the
workstation more often than not, no need for a user manual to
explain how to do what; just a simple, self-evident interface, as
simple as it could be but no simpler (a paragon of engineering
design) taking me to exactly what I needed, almost every time (no
irtf, but I learnt to live with that).

watersprings, you are sorely missed.
[...]

http://tools.ietf.org/html/DRAFTNAME works very well

E.g. <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lear-iana-timezone-database>

IMO it is brilliant:  It always lists all versions with relevant
links (including tracker and various diffs) in *simple* XHTML, no
thousands of GIFs, no https overhead, a minimal amount of CSS for
its minimalistic approach to show drafts as near to the TXT form
as possible (the colour-coded status gimmick is acceptable, e.g.,
it caused no visible trouble with a HTML 3.2 browser).

If that is still not yet minimalistic enough for you check out:
<URL:http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-lear-iana-timezone-database>

That's plain text.  You can omit -nn.txt in DRAFTNAME for version
nn to get the latest plain text version.  Including IRTF drafts.

Sadly the IETF announce list still does not offer links for this
repo.  If somebody here has a simple "favlet" or "bookmarklet"
(= Javascript URL) to transform the announce list datatracker
locations into tools.ietf.org locations please share it.

@Joel:  There is only one rel="icon" PNG in the rfcmarkup HTML
for an I-D, size about 1KB.

right my obervation about 4KB was the sum total retrived (by in this
case firefox) which I did not find painful.

 Is your 46 KB observation about the
tools.ietf.org page with the search form?

yes

I note I have zero complaints about the performance envelope of a 46KB
page icons and all.

If your browser can
handle OpenSearch description documents like most modern browsers
I could create an OSDD for you, with input DRAFTNAME as described
above and output = send corresponding HTTP GET to tools.ietf.org.

-Frank