Re: Fwd: Re: IETF 82 Audio Streaming

2011-11-01 08:11:59
Da: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
A: "Simon Pietro Romano" spromano(_at_)unina(_dot_)it
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Data: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 13:12:08 +0100
Oggetto: Re: Fwd: Re: IETF 82 Audio Streaming

you can skip such a fat frelling chance, if you want; just choose to
either attach to the RTSP stream, or to the landline phone bridge.
meetecho seems to require me to let a java applet have its way with
my machine. fat frelling chance. does the ietf really want to
recommend such a practice?

that is not my point.  i can easily avoid it myself.  my issue is that
we as the ietf seem to be promoting and encouraging a very bad and
anti-secure practice.  would we tell people to use telnet?  http
non-crypto to the bank? ...

Randy,

and our point was that luckily you're not forced to take that dangerous
and creepy road, since there are several (standard) alternatives you
ca exploit for the purpose. As a matter of fact, the server natively
makes use of those standard protocols, and the web interface we make
available for your convenience is just a frontend to it.

The best way to access the audio stream are of course the RTSP and SIP
URIs, which are both listed when you join one of the rooms we handle.
And, unless I'm mistaken, last time we checked they are both standard
protocols that come from the IETF itself. If (and only if) you don't
want to/can't be bothered to install a native client for those standard
protocols, or just want everything to happen in your browser, we
made available an applet whose only purpose is to take care of what
the browser cannot take care as of yet, that is media encoding and RTP
communication. Unfortunately, there still is no standard for web-based
communication: RTCWEB is on its way (and we all hope it will be out and
kicking ASAP) but is still not there to be used, and we had to make a
choice.

With that in mind, how is a Java applet any different than a Flash based
object that does the same thing or, even worse, than some full-fledged
active-x or application that a website download and opens in order to
make you think it's just another page in your browser? (yeah, someone
does that too). We chose to keep things "lite": a simple HTTP/Javascript
interface to everything we could wrap, and, for those who want everything
in the browser because that's what the web is, an applet for media/RTP,
that we couldn't wrap as of yet. Apparently we're not "lite" enough yet.

Regards,
Lorenzo

randy