Re: IETF 82 Audio Streaming

2011-11-02 05:31:55
On Wed Nov  2 04:15:38 2011, Randy Bush wrote:
we should not run a service which suggests, allows, requires, ... an
applet.  and yes, i have the same problem with webex.

We already have this problem with many things, though.

- Our mailing lists require you to operate an SMTP server. I remember Randy Gellens talking about having to install one in order to participate, back in the day. (I think he wrote it himself, actually).
- Our XMPP chatrooms require you to have a MUC-capable XMPP client.
- I've heard filthy rumours that we have some kind of website, requiring one of those new-fangled browsers.
- Our very RFCs require an ASR-33 emulator.

Many of these things are commonly installed with an operating system, these days, or easily obtained - but not always. Windows users are still in a XMPP-less ghetto. The only difference with Meetecho is that they provide a downloadable, cross-platform, client for those without one.

I have to say I don't see the problem here at all. I could understand, and would entirely support, your position if we were talking in terms of a mandatory, non-standard, closed-source, client, but as I understand things, the Meetecho client is none of those things. It's optional, open-standard, and open-source.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net