RE: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-17 08:07:08
Martin

Where does the "note well" say that any contribution needs to be readable 10
years hence ?

It says that if you submit/say something that it is under the IPR stipulations,
and it says that the participant is deemed to have accepted rules of practice
including that what is said/submitted may be made public.

It does not say that everything that I say in a session must be transcribed and
saved in ASCII,
and what I present in slides is no different from what I say.

Y(J)S

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Rex [mailto:mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 18:32
To: Yaakov Stein
Cc: bishop(_dot_)robinson(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Plagued by PPTX again

Yaakov Stein wrote:

In the interest of
1) Facilitating work
2) Making its work available to as wide an audience as possible, and
3) Lowering barriers to participation...

Right. We are talking about presentation slides,
not about something that absolutely has to readable years hence.

You seem to not understand this:
http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html

It definitely *IS* highly important that this information
is readable in 10+ years.

I do know that there are folks whose primary purpose is to produce
pretty slides to impress bigwigs during a short span of attention,
and where it a regular custom that the slides become entirely
useless after the meeting.  In the IETF, however, there is an
important difference with information being published, going
on public record, and becoming an IETF contribution.

-Martin