Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-15 23:57:50
John Levine wrote:

What is much more important is that the data formats used by the
IETF will still be fully supported in 15-20 years.  For a new,
and more so a proprietary data format, ...

I'm confused.  When you say a proprietary data format, I presume you
mean Microsoft's closed and undocumented PPT format, as opposed to
PPTX which is ISO/IEC Standard 29500.  So you're arguing that
everyone should move to the standard PPTX.

Or did you mean something else?

PPTX is still proprietary.
That things is so insanely huge and complex that hardly
anyone can create an interoperable implementation.

Microsoft regularly failed to created compatible implementations
of their earlier DOC and PPT formats in later Office releases,
so I would actually be surprised if they succeeded for this
monster called ISO/ETC 29500.

-Martin