Re: discouraged by .docx was Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-26 12:57:53

--On Saturday, November 26, 2011 12:11 +0100 "t.petch"
<daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com> wrote:

Could we also say 'No' to .docx, another incomprehensible
format designed to persuade us to take time out, spend money
and upgrade all and sundry?

I notice some ADs/WG chairs using this and while it gets
converted to good ole ASCII when it is archived, I would like
to be able to read it earlier in the process.

FWIW, I think that, if we are going to start banning proprietary
formats, it makes lots more sense to ban _all_ proprietary
formats, not just picking and choosing among proprietary formats
that are, e.g., more recent or less frequently
reverse-engineered than others.  So, yes, let's ban pptx, docx,
ppt, doc, non-standardized forms of PDF, GIF, ...

That leaves ASCII, a few forms of PDF, and RFC 5198-conforming
UTF-8.   That wouldn't bother me much, but be careful what you
wish form.

   john

  john