Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-15 16:14:08
On 15/11/2011 21:29, Melinda Shore wrote:
That sort of sarcasm has a tendency not to work out in the
longer run.

no, probably not.  It's just that I've been hearing the same complaint
about unwillingness to upgrade to widely-supported file / display / etc
formats for as long I've been dabbling on the internet.  The complaint lost
its rustic charm a long time ago, if it ever had any.  The world moves on.

The thing is, pptx is very widely supported and has been widely supported
for several years.  And no matter how much we all dislike upgrading our
desktops, I'm finding it really hard to sympathise with people complaining
about a format which is already supported or can trivially be supported by
the 94%-odd of all office/productivity suite installations in the world.
If this is peoples' position, why not revert to ascii7 for everything?  Is
it really _that_ hard to upgrade to OOo 3.x?  Or to install the office-xml
binary shim set for office 2003?

Incidentally, I am not a supporter of free-for-all file format support, but
solely because of posterity support:  the ietf archives will be of interest
to historians one day, and there is no better way to make it difficult to
analyse things than by accepting a multitude of file formats, some of which
change rapidly or have bizarrely different and incompatible implementations
(e.g. odf).

Nick