Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-15 19:35:42
On 2011-11-16 13:56, John Levine wrote:
What is much more important is that the data formats used by the
IETF will still be fully supported in 15-20 years.  For a new,
and more so a proprietary data format, ...

I'm confused.  When you say a proprietary data format, I presume you
mean Microsoft's closed and undocumented PPT format, as opposed to
PPTX which is ISO/IEC Standard 29500.  So you're arguing that
everyone should move to the standard PPTX.

Or did you mean something else?

John,

You seem to assume that OOXML is a fully defined open standard whereby
anybody can take the ISO/IEC document and implement a fully interoperable
product. From what I know about the technical objections that were raised
and ignored in the ISO/IEC equivalent of Last Call, that may not be the
case. (I don't claim technical expertise in this area, however.)

The same objection wouldn't apply, for example, to PDF/A.

   Brian