Re: discouraged by .docx was Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-26 13:24:07
FWIW, I think that, if we are going to start banning proprietary
formats, it makes lots more sense to ban _all_ proprietary formats,
not just picking and choosing among proprietary formats that are,
e.g., more recent or less frequently reverse-engineered than others.
So, yes, let's ban pptx, docx, ppt, doc, non-standardized forms of
PDF, GIF, ...

I gather that you consider ECMA-376 and ISO/IEC 29500 formats to be
proprietary.  On the other hand, the definition of GIF is in a 20 year
old document published by a predecessor of AOL, which includes a
widely ignored trademark license requirement and an infamous patent.
Hmmn.

Since apparently some formats specified in ECMA and ISO standards are
proprietary, while some that are privately defined and encumbered with
trademark and patent restrictions are not, could someone provide a
concise description of how I can recognize a non-proprietary format?

R's,
John

PS: I'm not denying that docx and pptx can be unpleasant to deal with,
although LibreOffice hides a lot of the unpleasantness.