discouraged by .docx was Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-26 06:09:38
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michel Py" <michel(_at_)arneill-py(_dot_)sacramento(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us>
To: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>;
"John Levine"
<johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:09 AM

I think all of you guys are getting a little too serious about this
thing.

Here's my take: even in a 100% Microsoft shop, .pptx is a pain as much
as .xlsx and .docx. And yes, I know about the free
"fileformatconverters.exe", thank you very much. It does not work on my
Microsoft cell phone that does not read .pptx, but does read .ppt.

.pptx is a pain in the arse. I don't care if it's standard, legally
standard, IETF approved, de-facto standard, or anything. Even if one is
using a newer version of PowerPoint, one can "save as" .ppt.

.pptx is just like HTML in a mailing list: just say no.

Could we also say 'No' to .docx, another incomprehensible format designed to
persuade us to take time out, spend money and upgrade all and sundry?

I notice some ADs/WG chairs using this and while it gets converted to good
ole ASCII when it is archived, I would like to be able to read it
earlier in the process.

Tom Petch

Michel.