Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-15 16:31:23
On 11/15/2011 01:13 PM, Nick Hilliard wrote:
Incidentally, I am not a supporter of free-for-all file format support, but
solely because of posterity support:  the ietf archives will be of interest
to historians one day, and there is no better way to make it difficult to
analyse things than by accepting a multitude of file formats, some of which
change rapidly or have bizarrely different and incompatible implementations
(e.g. odf).

Librarian, here.  As a fan of the unusual argument I love the
suggestion that future researchers will have an easier time with
undocumented, proprietary formats, and therefore in the present
day we should all be required to run behemothware so that we can
be able to look at slides loaded with the sort of Features that
Tufte warned us about.  Odd to see an IETF participant arguing
against interoperability, BTW.

Anyway, I remain unconvinced.

Melinda