Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-15 18:11:03
Nick Hilliard wrote:

Martin Rex wrote:

While I do have OpenOffice on about half of my dozen computing
environments,
[...]
Correct.  "Upgrading" an installation takes me a full week until it
works as smoothly as the original working environment.  I don't have
more than one week per year available for such waste.

Ok, so let me get this right: 12 computing environments, all of which are
out of date by at least 3 years, and you can only afford one week every
year for managing updates - which is enough time to update exactly one
installation.  And because of this awkward situation you find yourself in,
you feel that the IETF should hold off supporting a 5 year old file format,
supported by the majority of computers in the world?

What is much more important is that the data formats used by the
IETF will still be fully supported in 15-20 years.  For a new,
and more so a proprietary data format, it takes at least 5 years
to figure out whether it is widely adopted and will be supported
at least 15-20 years into the future.

None of my working environments is actually out of date -- or they
would not be working environments.

Our customers are actually paying a lot of money to get our software
supported on platforms for more than 10 years (2-3 years in development
plus 10 years in full support, and a few more years).

The code that I develop (middleware stuff: gss-api,tls,pkix,cms) is compiled
for a variety of platforms (SunOS 5.8-5.11, AIX 4.3.3-6.1,
HP-UX 11.0-11.31, Linux SLES 7-11, OS/390 10.00-20.00, MS Windows 5.0-6.1,
plus a few that we will discontinue end of 2013, including OSF/1.)

Home and Laptop is 3xWinXP,Linux-32,Linux-64,Win7-64
At work it is XP,XP-64,SunOS,Linux-32,Linux-64,Win7-32

Every data or file format that I can use on only a small subset of
my work environments in a royal PITA to deal with.  PDF is OK,
PPT is bad, PPTX is horrible.

-Martin