Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-17 11:48:26
On 17/11/2011 17:17, Robinson Tryon wrote:
If authors take on the responsibility of creating and verifying the
fidelity of exported versions,

There are two directly conflicting issues here:

1. presenters are not going to be able to guarantee strict pdf/a v1.4 output

2. the ietf is not going to be able to guarantee an accurate export process

If the IETF is serious about long-term data archival of presentations in
e.g. pdf/a format, it may be best to implement a two-phase process which
accepts pdf from users and then re-exports it to pdf/a.

then I think everything will be peachy.
What can we do to encourage this practice?

perhaps have a data tracker tool which insists on pdf, but also welcomes
other original formats (e.g. .ppt / .pptx / .key / .tex / etc).  Similar to
the I-D upload tool which insists on .txt but welcomes xml / etc.

For the presentation computers, support ppt / pptx / odf / pdf from a
current installation of a well known operating system with good
presentation characteristics (e.g. windows + powerpoint, or os/x with
recent office + keynote).  And just accept that there will be various
presentation compatibility issues from time to time.

Nick