Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-22 09:01:04
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:

i am still not seeing "you have a mac and use all the usual stuff that
produces pdf.  to convert that pdf to pdf/a for archival purposes, use
the following app: <https://foo.bar/>."

randy, playing end user

I haven't researched the PDF -> PDF/A route yet. It's possible that
some information is lost in the PDF generation step making it harder
to translate from PDF -> PDF/A (a trivial example is a PDF in which a
non-standard font is used but not embedded).

-- Proprietary --
It looks like Adobe Distiller (part of Acrobat) might be able to turn
PDF -> PDF/A (especially if you're doing all of this work on the same
system).

-- FOSS --
If your source document can be read by LibreOffice, use it to generate
PDF/As. That's the simplest FOSS tool I've used so far.

For those willing to roll their sleeves up a little bit, there's
always ghostscript on the command line.

If we take a look at ghostscript, we find this useful information
(http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/Ps2pdf.htm#PDFA).

"To create a PDF/A document, please follow instructions about creating
a PDF/X-3 document, with the following exceptions..."

So the docs at least say that it's possible.

For people who don't want to wrangle on the command-line, there is a
print driver. CUPS-PDF is designed to make it easier for people to
print to pdf on OSX
(http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2007082812233971)

Apparently on OSX, CUPS-PDF uses ps2pdf. I don't have an OSX system
nearby for testing and tweaking, but with a little work, I assume that
one could massage the install process a little bit and make it
possible for a user to simply print to "Local PDF/A Printer" from an
application, and have a nicely compliant PDF/A pdf spit out the other
end.

-- Robinson