Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-21 00:40:30
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:03 AM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:
This doesn't address strict pdf/a 1.4 compatibility, but this is a more
subtle problem which the ietf cannot realistically expect its presentation
submitters to handle in a consistent manner.

OOO and LibreOffice purport to export PDF/A.  I haven't run the
results through a verifier to see how well they do.

I queried google for "ietf powerpoint presentation" and grabbed the
first 10 results that were powerpoint files (9 ppt, 1 pptx):
www.ietf.org/proceedings/56/slides/pwe3-7/pwe3-7.ppt
tools.ietf.org/agenda/81/slides/tcpm-1.ppt
tools.ietf.org/agenda/81/slides/mpls-12.pptx
tools.ietf.org/agenda/81/slides/tsvwg-9.ppt
www.mnot.net/papers/ietf-49-wrec.ppt
www.mnot.net/papers/ietf-50-webi.ppt
www.softarmor.com/xcon/meets/ietf62/04-xcon-netconf.ppt
www.oasis-open.org/presentations/security/SBradner.ppt
www.cdnc.org/gb/news/download/RFJ47th-IETF.ppt
tools.ietf.org/agenda/81/slides/idr-3.ppt

I used a local build of LibreOffice to open up the files and convert
them to PDF/A-1a, then ran them through a PDF validator
(http://www.pdf-tools.com/pdf/validate-pdfa-online.aspx).

Of the 10 files, all validated successfully except for idr-3.pdf. The
pdf file appears fine, the validator just gives an error about an
unknown 'DCTDecode' filter.

I'm sure that PDF validators aren't perfect, but the quick test seems
to indicate that LibreOffice is pretty good at creating valid PDF/A
output. Because it is free (and Free), and has builds for just about
every platform, LibreOffice could be given to any contributor/author
who asks for help exporting materials to PDF/A.

-- Robinson