Re: discouraged by .docx was Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-28 13:54:16
On 2011-11-28 20:29, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Monday, November 28, 2011 18:27 +0100 Julian Reschke
<julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>  wrote:

That's more of an attribute of the text reader than any thing
else. I've had readers that reflow text just fine --- far
better than PDF, at any rate.

It requires a format that does allow reflowing and
repagination. HTML does, PDF/A does, text/plain does not
(maybe RFC 2646 would help, maybe not). text/plain is what we
use, and that's a problem that'll need to be solved.

Julian, PDF/A is a page-image format, just like base PDF.  I
think there is enough information present to permit reflowing
lines and repaginating, but that certainly is not the intent.

I think it's the intent with the reflowable feature. (It may not be used a lot, but it's there; it requires consideration on generation time, though).

Best regards, Julian