Re: discouraged by .docx was Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-26 16:22:53
On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 08:52:20PM +0000, Yaakov Stein wrote:

ASCII is already unreadable on many popular devices
and in a few years will be no better than old versions of word.

I am referring to the fact that more and more people are reading
documents on cell-phones and other small devices.
According to analysts, this will be the most popular platform for reading
material from the Internet within a few years.

The ASCII art used in RFCs becomes hopelessly mangled and unreadable,
while the rest of the text is merely hard to read.

On the other hand, were the figures to be in any format that
preserves their integrity, one would see a small depiction that
could be enlarged as necessary.

If you can pan and scan a complex PDF file, you can pan and scan ASCII
art.  Furthermore, ASCII text has the benefit that you can much more
easily reflow the text portions of the document.  If I only had a
small screen device, and I had my choice between an unreflowable PDF
file, and a sufficiently smart ASCII reader that would allow me to
switch back and forth between reflowed ASCII text, and a "pan and
scan" mode for ASCII art, the ASCII document would be ***far*** more
readable on a small screen than the aforementioned PDF document.

                                        - Ted

So I suggest removing ASCII from the list,
as ASCII art will not be readable on mainstream devices in the near future.

Y(J)S