Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-01 14:24:28
On 29 Nov 2011, at 18:54, Ronald Bonica wrote:
I think that our time would be used much more productively if we discussed
whether to make the allocation or not. The proposed status of the document is
a secondary issue.

yes, it is, and yes, we should.

I've slept on it, but it's no good.  Ultimately, here is how it works: there
are stupid people, organisations and ISPs who will resist all common sense and
do the wrong thing no matter what.  It is in our best interests if they do the
wrong thing at the cost of the least inconvenience to everybody else involved
when that is at all possible.

IPv4 is now practically dead.  Saving it is a waste of time.  It has market
value in its reduced form; let those of us who know how to exploit it to the
last do so.  It does not matter.  It is seppuku to take no action on IPv6.
Nobody here should be applying their principles to the contrary in standards.
A lasting strategy to keep what's left of IPv4 is now purely transitional; no
new entrants will want or need full IPv4 access, at the expense of every other
legitimate user, even in reduced form, but especially not the grasshoppers who
will no doubt foolishly try to create market differentiation.  And when they
do, they can make their case to the regional registries, using only the address
space that is needed, and benefiting everybody.  Wasting little drops of ARIN's
resources with this allocation, by extension, is also no problem to the
"Hastening" of IPv6 deployment; the space is used, whichever way, and to the
same effect.  Artificially created scarcity through non-prov
 ision of private space will still result in the creation of private spaces and
lack of addresses.  ISPs will be left communicating their incompetence in
either case.  Later, we can watch the live executions and tortures of
management behind the IPv4 crisis.  Just now, though, IPv4 is a market
requirement for everybody.  Simple as.  We must provide.

Cheers,
Sabahattin