Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-01 18:28:04
On Dec 1, 2011 4:02 PM, "Chris Donley"
<C(_dot_)Donley(_at_)cablelabs(_dot_)com> wrote:

This is not a new proposal.  People have been asking for the same thing
for a long time.  Draft-bdgks does a good job spelling out the history
(below). To say that we're trying to change the rules at the last minute
is wrong.  People have been asking for such an allocation considering this
use case as long ago as 2004, and fairly consistently since 2008. We and
the other draft authors have been following IETF process, documenting the
need, documenting the tradeoffs, and documenting the challenges with CGN
for quite some time. People wouldn't keep coming back to the IETF again
and again for seven years or so if we had a better way to satisfy this
need (although I am aware that some operators have opted for squat space
rather than push for a shared pool of CGN space).

I know this is not a new case.

And I know efforts to make 240/4 workable are also not new.

And, historically the answer is always no to new special ipv4 space.
Someone else can expound why. If I had 240/4 in 2008, I would not have ipv6
now, that is a straight strategic business planning fact.

Saying yes now, would be changing the rules because 'the rule' was/is 'no'
new space.

Cb

Chris

From bdgks:

  Proposals for additional Private space date back at least to
  [I-D.hain-1918bis
<
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space-03#ref
-I-D.hain-1918bis>] in April 2004.  Some of these proposals and
  surrounding discussion may have considered similar use-cases as
  described herein.  However, they were fundamentally intended to
  increase the size of the [RFC1918 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918>]
pool, whereas a defining
  characteristic of Shared Transition Space is that it is distinctly
  not part of the Private [RFC1918 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918>]
address pool.

  Rather, the Shared Transition Space is reserved for more narrow
  deployment scenarios, specifically for use by SPs to meet the needs
  of ongoing IPv4 connectivity during the period of IPv6 transition.
  This key feature emerged in more recent proposals such as
  [I-D.shirasaki-isp-shared-addr
<
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space-03#ref
-I-D.shirasaki-isp-shared-addr>] in June 2008 where a proposal to set
  aside "ISP Shared Space" was made.  During discussion of these more
  recent proposals, many of the salient points where commented upon,
  including challenges with RFC1918 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918>
in the ISP NAT Zone, Avoidance of
  IP Address Conflicts, and challenges with 240/4.

  This effort was followed up by
  [I-D.weil-opsawg-provider-address-space
<
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space-03#ref
-I-D.weil-opsawg-provider-address-space>] in July 2010 which was re-
  worked in November 2010 as
  [I-D.weil-shared-transition-space-request
<
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space-03#ref
-I-D.weil-shared-transition-space-request>].  These latter efforts
  continued to point out the operators' need for Shared Transition
  Space, with full acknowledgement that challenges may arise with
  NAT444 as per [I-D.donley-nat444-impacts
<
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space-03#ref
-I-D.donley-nat444-impacts>] and that such space does
  not reduce the need for IPv6 deployment.

  Most recently, following exhaustion of the IANA's /8 pool
  [NRO-IANA-exhaust
<
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space-03#ref
-NRO-IANA-exhaust>], this proposal has been discussed by various RIR
  policy development participants.  As described herein, the body of
  ARIN policy development participants has reached consensus and
  recommended a Shared Address Space policy for adoption [ARIN-2011-5
<
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space-03#ref
-ARIN-2011-5>].

  This history shows that operators and other industry contributors
  have consistently identified the need for a Shared Transition Space
  assignment, based on pragmatic operational needs.  The previous work
  has also described the awareness of the challenges of this space, but
  points to this option as the most manageable and workable solution
  for IPv6 transition space.

Chris

On 12/1/11 2:05 PM, "Cameron Byrne" <cb(_dot_)list6(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>