Re: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-dkim-atps-11.txt> (DKIM Authorized Third-Party Signers) to Experimental RFC

2011-12-05 18:00:09

On 11/30/2011 1:03 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:
In plain English, this reads as an update of ADSP but this draft does not
>  update RFC 5617.
It does not.  There's no reason that anyone implementing ADSP need pay
attention to this.*IF*  you implement this, it might change your
behaviour with respect to ADSP, but information about that is
contained here.  There's no reason for this to "update" 5617 in the
IETF sense.

I think Barry's characterization is correct. The word "update" can have some different uses in this realm.

In IETF RFC formal lingo, I believe "update" means that the new spec is modifying the core document. It really is, therefore, to be taken as part of that core document's text.

In a very different sense, some specification provide optional value-add to a core spec. Using that enhancement is optional; so it's no part of the core. However, if one chooses to use the enhancement, then yes the enhancements "updates" some aspect of the core.

I believe that ATPS is the latter form of update to DKIM and ADSP.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking