Re: primary Paris hotel booking

2012-01-03 12:58:01

        I agree. In addition to that the pre-pay situation can be a major PITA
for expensing purposes.  We should add "normal" booking procedures to the hotel
requirements list as well.

        --Tom

On Jan 3, 2012, at 11:52 AM, George, Wes wrote:

Happy New Year, it's time for our triannual hotel complaint thread.
I hate to do it, but I think that there are people who haven't looked at this
yet, and I'm hoping that we can perhaps rectify it before the majority of
folks try to book:

"Instructions for making reservations at Hotel Concorde:
Please fill out the reservations form and fax it directly to the hotel at:
+33 1 57 00 50 79 or email it to cmasson(_at_)concorde-hotels(_dot_)com"

It's 2012, but the IETF and this hotel chain expects us to book reservations
at the main conference hotel by (international) FAX or by *emailing* a form
which includes a credit card number so that the hotel can hold the room and
implement its relatively bizarre prepay/anti-cancellation policy.
Would it be trolling to ask whether anyone verified that "cmasson" has
support for PGP encrypted-email and a proper method of securely storing (and
then destroying after use) the several hundred credit card numbers they are
about to receive?

What person or rate code should we ask for when booking our rooms over the
phone? (hey if I'm going old school, I'm doing it all the way!) Though, given
the above, I'm relatively worried that my credit card number will simply end
up on an unprotected spreadsheet on a PC somewhere in their office even if I
call to book.

More practically, the hotel blocks at the primary hotel typically fill up
quite fast once registration is opened, especially since the overflow hotel
is actually more expensive than the primary. Does the hotel fax/call us back
to tell us that they have no more rooms available for our requested dates, or
is the block open-ended such that they will keep selling rooms in it until
the cutoff regardless of the number?

Evidently "ability to book group rate rooms online" is something that should
be added to our list of hotel requirements. I'm stunned that it's not there
already.

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail
and any printout.