Re: primary Paris hotel booking

2012-01-03 13:47:39

--On Tuesday, January 03, 2012 13:57 -0500 Thomas Nadeau
<tnadeau(_at_)lucidvision(_dot_)com> wrote:

      I agree. In addition to that the pre-pay situation can be a
major PITA for expensing purposes.  We should add "normal"
booking procedures to the hotel requirements list as well.

It is a little worse than "merely" a PITA.  I've worked for
companies who would absolutely forbid making a reservation with
a non-refundable deposit more than two months in advance of a
meeting unless I was personally willing to assume the risk...
and who might treat such a one-day fee as non-reimbursable even
if I did stay in the hotel.

The good news about Paris is that there is a large supply of
hotels in a wide range of qualities and prices and the subway
system is comprehensible and works very well.    I sort of hate
to suggest this, but, if the conditions and/or rates for the
IETF-designated hotels don't seem reasonable, go elsewhere (just
remember that no one will listen if you don't like the hotel
Internet service).    One might even speculate that, if a
sufficiently large number of people refused to accept the Hotel
Concorde's terms and conditions (booking policies, cancellation
policies, or something else) and "voted" by refusing to book
there, the IAOC might get the message far more clearly than any
number of requests or complaints about what they should
negotiate.

    john