Re: primary Paris hotel booking

2012-01-03 15:54:11
I do not know why hotels will not put it into a contract; believe me we try.  I
call this the double-secret discount.  It would be nice if the hotels gave us
Most Favored Nation status, but since they do not, and no hotel has, this is
the next best thing.

On Jan 3, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

On 2012-01-04 10:03, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Tuesday, January 03, 2012 15:54 -0500 Eric Burger
<eburger(_at_)standardstrack(_dot_)com> wrote:

Actually (shhhh), the IETF *does* get credit for rooms sold.
We reconcile the attendee list with hotel guests. Go for it.

In a way, that is really too bad.  If people find the
cancellation or other) policies problematic enough to actually
change their behavior (as distinct from whining), it would be
good for the IAOC to get that message in a way that was clear
and couldn't be avoided.  If you don't incur a penalty for
failure to fill a block and/or can't really tell "paid a higher
rate to get a better policy" from "reserved after the block was
full or past the deadline", then there are few, if any,
incentives for telling a hotel that these sort of policies won't
do.

There's a third case, "paid a lower rate than the conference rate"
(usually due to a smart corporate travel agent). I've never
understood why conferences don't get a corporate-equivalent rate.

  Brian