Re: encouraging compliance with IPR disclosure rules

2012-01-26 13:41:16
Hi Peter,
At 09:40 26-01-2012, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
In my opinion, we need to think more creatively about ways to encourage
compliance with the IPR disclosure rules. Tim Polk and I wrote an I-D on
the topic last year. Feedback would be welcome.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-polk-ipr-disclosure-00

From the draft:

  "To support the efficient development of IETF standards and
   avoid unnecessary delays, chairs and ADs should look for
   opportunities to promote awareness and compliance with the
   IETF's IPR policies."

WG Chairs interact with IETF participants more often than ADs. It is not clear whether it is their responsibility to promote awareness and compliance. The IESG could ask two WG Chairs, chosen at random, when it meets with the WG Chairs to comment on what they did to promote awareness.

Some points in the draft, such as the two-step approach to confirm compliance may help to catch issues before they become a concern.

Regards,
-sm