Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-10 22:04:26
    > From: Doug Barton <dougb(_at_)dougbarton(_dot_)us>

    > My point is that no matter how loudly you say, "Don't use this as
    > 1918 space!" some users will do it anyway.

And if they do, any problem that results is _their_ problem.

    > That means that there is no reason to allocate this new block.

No.

If people are using thing X in way A, _which is allowed by the definition of
X_, then it's really rude/unfair for a responsible standards body to turn
around and say 'ooops, now you can't use thing X in way A'.

If, on the other hand, the standards body then says 'here's a new thing Y;
don't use thing Y in way A', and people go ahead and use thing Y in way A,
then the standards body can reasonably sit back and laugh at them and blow
a raspberry at them when they complain.

        Noel