Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-10 22:45:19
    > From: Doug Barton <dougb(_at_)dougbarton(_dot_)us>

    > You snipped the bit of the my post that you're responding to where I
    > specifically disallowed this as a reasonable argument.

What an easy way to win a debate: 'I hereby disallow the following
counter-arguments {A, B, C}, and since you have no other
counter-arguments, I win.'

Just because you don't think much of it, doesn't mean the rest of us have
to agree with you on that.

    > The new block's purpose is to make collisions impossible.

Ah, no.

If you were to say 'to make collisions very unlikely if it is used in the
way it is specified', then I could agree with that. But to take a
straw-man absolutist position like "impossible", and then knock it down
with great pomp:

    > It cannot fulfill that purpose.

is not exactly a plausible argument. Outlawing cell-phone use while driving
may make accidents caused by cell-phone usage less likely, but it can't make
them impossible. Only physics (and math) make things _absolutely_ impossible

    > it's a very irresponsible way for an SDO to conduct themselves.

What, to say 'if you use this in a way that we specifically direct it not
be used, any problems are your fault'?

That's odd, because my lawnmower says much the same thing: 'Don't use this
as a hedge-trimmer. If you do, and cut off your arm, don't even bother
thinking of suing us, because we warned you not to.' (OK, so I translated
the legalese into something more amusing, but the basic message is exactly
that.)

    > And that's assuming that this action doesn't have a cost, whereas
    > the truth is that it has several, both direct and indirect.

And that would be...? How exactly does simply allocating a chunk of
address space - something the Internet engineering community does every
day - for a specific purpose "have a cost ... both direct and indirect"?

If you're actually thinking of 'deploying CGNAT' in the text above, this
discussion is not about that. That's going to happen no matter what the
IETF says/does. (Just like all those other NAT boxes the IETF huffed and
puffed until it turned blue in the face about.)

This is only about allocating a chunk of address space.

        Noel