Re: Trade show at IETF

2012-03-16 16:30:15
Andy:

On 03/16/2012 01:35 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:

    IAOC>    QUESTION: What do you think about doing a Beer and Gear
    IAOC>  style of event on an evening that does not conflict with other
    IAOC>  IETF activities?

I think that hallway conversations, private meetings and other
activities that people have already filled Sunday after the
reception,Monday, Thursday and Friday with are more important.  I think
this would make an already crowded event more crowded and while it might
be useful would detract from other more important uses of the time.
So, I am not generally supportive of this idea.

NANOG has network operators as the audience but the IETF has a more mixed
audience.
I support ideas to raise money, and I would go to this event, out of
curiosity.
I'm not looking to buy any networking equipment though.

I would actually like more lunch-time lectures and discussions.
(Maybe M, T, and Th so WG Chairs lunch on W does not conflict).
Perhaps vendors or researchers would be willing to make a donation
to get one of those lunch slots?

Yes.  We need to make sure that lunch-time events do not interfere with the
IETF meeting.  For the last few years, ISOC has an event on Tuesday, the WG
Chairs meet on Wednesday, and the Host presents on Thursday.  That does leave
Monday for a sponsor slot.

Since we did not have a host until very late in the game for Paris, a sponsor
was given the Thursday lunch slot.  Now that we have a host, and Thursday is
gone, we have given the host the Monday lunch slot.  So, there are no more
slots in Paris.  But is also shows that we could probably get sponsorship
dollars for the Monday lunch slot on an ongoing basis.

Russ