Re: IPv6 networking: Bad news for small biz

2012-04-04 08:35:33

--On Wednesday, April 04, 2012 07:24 +0100 Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

We could go on having this argument, or we could take
constructive steps to deal with the new flexibility that we
have gained from IPv6, which indeed leads to new problems to
solve as we start to use that flexibility.

Oh look, we have WGs tackling those problems: MIF, HOMENET,
6RENUM, and of course V6OPS.

And, for better or worse, the existence and work programs of
that large number of WGs -- seemingly growing over the years and
including SOFTWIRES and others that are more specifically
focused on transition -- leads some skeptics to conclude that we
still don't understand how to transition to IPv6 or to operate
it once we get there.   That may lead, in turn, to a "wait until
they do and, if necessary, deploy kludges in the interim"
strategy which probably does no one any good in the long term.

     john