Re: IPv6 networking: Bad news for small biz

2012-04-05 14:58:32
Brian,

On Apr 4, 2012, at 8:49 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
uh, i hate to spoil your fantasy.  but large ipv4 deployments want an
absolutely minimal, compatible, feature-match upgrade to ipv6.

Yes of course. Isn't that what straight dual stack deployment is
meant to provide?

Well, no.  Dual stack was meant to allow people to continue to run IPv4 to do
IPv4 things and also run IPv6 to do IPv6 things.  I believe Randy is saying
that the folks who run large IPv4 deployments want IPv6 to (at least) do the
same things as IPv4.

However, since Dual Stack was a failure as a transition strategy, I'm not sure
why raising it is even relevant.

Regards,
-drc