Re: 'Geek' image scares women away from tech industry ? The Register

2012-05-01 11:37:45
Hi -

From: "Yoav Nir" <ynir(_at_)checkpoint(_dot_)com>
To: "Mary Barnes" <mary(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)barnes(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Cc: "IETF-Discussion list" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: 'Geek' image scares women away from tech industry ? The Register
IOW I don't see the difference between not wanting to spend too
much time at work and wanting to spend more time with your family.

I think the notion that one's life is limited to work and family is a
great example of what makes for an unsupportive environment,
regardless of one's gender.  I have no scientific study to back me
up, but my experience has been that men (myself included at times)
tend to be fairly clueless about what makes for an "uncivil work
environment", and in particular, privilege tends to make us oblivious
to "condescending or patronizing" behaviour.

Randy