Re: 'Geek' image scares women away from tech industry ? The Register

2012-05-01 13:25:44
Hector wrote:
Monique Morrow wrote:
One of the points I discussed in NYC last week was also the role of media
and what is depicted in film, TV and so on wrt girls-women, a topic of the
Miss Representation initiative:

http://www.missrepresentation.org/

Monique

My young artist daughter depicted the woman dilemma in her well received, career advancing gallery showing painting:

   http://www.jaclynsantos.com/images/large/g.jpg

Here is Jaclyn's view on this topic:

      http://www.jaclynsantos.com/statement.html

  "I FEEL that contemporary American society places an unattainable
   amount of expectations on women; cinematography in particular
   often creates "superwomen" who are unnaturally beautiful, smart,
talented, successful, and sexually gifted. However, due to time constraints
   as well as genetically determined physical and mental limitations, no
   real woman could ever possibly achieve equality with these
   fictitious idols.

   While women have always been my chosen subject matter, I feel that
   my work simultaneously functions as a more general commentary on the
dominant isolationist spirit of modern American culture. This is why I
   typically paint the figures by themselves. I prefer to place them
   within their own environments to emphasize their isolation."

--
HLS