Re: RFC 2119 terms, ALL CAPS vs lower case

2012-05-16 09:54:36

On 5/16/2012 7:39 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
    The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
    "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
    document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119] when they
    appear in ALL CAPS.  These words may also appear in this document in
    lower case as plain English words, absent their normative meanings.

i like this a lot

So do I. Rather than attend to likely misinterpretation by average readers, it relieves us from responsibilities for misunderstandings due to our choosing not to conform to normal language usage.

Making an artificial, formal distinction is far more productive than worrying about characteristics of typical readers.

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking