Re: RFC 2119 terms, ALL CAPS vs lower case

2012-05-16 21:24:23

On May 16, 2012, at 5:22 PM 5/16/12,
ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

  The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
  "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
  document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119] when they
  appear in ALL CAPS.  These words may also appear in this document in
  lower case as plain English words, absent their normative meanings.

i like this a lot

I agree. In fact I just incorporated it into the media types registration
update.

To be sure of meaning and help confusion avoidance, I would prefer that the
key words not appear in the document in lower case and that authors use the
suggested replacement words (or break out the thesaurus?).

Preferring it is one thing; I'm OK with that. Making it some sort of
hard-and-fast rule is another matter entirely. We have too many of those
as it is.

                                Ned