Re: RFC 2119 terms, ALL CAPS vs lower case

2012-05-18 00:07:29
Lee Howard wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Dave Cridland
Consider:

"An octet may contain 0-255".
"An octet contains 0-255".
"An octet might contain 0-255" - or it might not?
"The Foo octet MUST lie between 0 and 127 inclusive; that is, the highest
bit MUST NOT
be set."
"A valid Foo octet lies between 0 and 127 inclusive; that is, the highest
bit is never set."

We do not improve clarity by making sentences harder to read.

Or colorizing it.

We should avoid rfc2119 language where possible, to be clear, but not at the
expense of clarity.

+1, I think this is more specific to documents and not RFC2119. I don't think we can generalize RFC2119.

--
HLS